Saturday 22 March 2014

#daretobare

I’ve decided I’d rather not do the no make-up selfie, no offence to those who chose to partake, or to those who have nominated me. 


I’ve already signed up to Race For Life for the third year running, and I don’t see how baring my naked face will really make that much difference. This morning I ran 5k in preparation for said race earlier today, and I feel like that was more productive than the whole photo thing. I’ll donate to charity as and when I choose, not because I want to join in with a trend. Being charitable should be about giving to causes you respect, or doing something awe-inspiring to raise money for a charity that personally resonates with you. It shouldn’t be about vanity, or about saying ‘Hey look at me! Aren’t I great because I’m giving to charity!’ It makes me feel a bit uneasy. I know the selfie idea was simply a quick and easy way for people to encourage others to give, but I feel just as cornered and pressured to donate and join in, as I do when I walk down the street and am approached by six charity-muggers in a row trying to get me to sign up for this that or the other. 

Being charitable is also just about being nice to other human beings. Why don't we all try to do a bit more of that?

Don't get me wrong; it’s great that the social media stunt has raised over 2 million for Cancer Research UK amongst other charities, but part of me wishes the idea wasn’t centred around women being ‘brave’ for baring a face without makeup. Fighting cancer and illness is brave. Wearing no make up simply goes against our modern conception of beauty, which also makes me feel queasy. Women, just like men, should be able to paint and clothe their skin however they choose. It shouldn’t be considered an act of bravery to do so. In this day and age it makes me feel pretty sad that we are so stuck in this bullshit sexist mindset.

Growing up with a mother, who I have seen wear make-up maybe three times in my life, who I have never doubted was the strongest, bravest woman I know. It feels like I'm betraying everything she taught me about beauty, self-worth and being a courageous independent woman (cue sassy Destiny's Child music.)

Please leave your thoughts in the comments, I know this has been a bit of a controversial subject on Facebook & Twitter so I'll be interested to see what you think. 

An amendment to the previous post, added Sunday 6th April 2014 


After a bit of feedback I just wanted to reiterate that I'm not condemning people who have chosen to do the selfie. It has undoubtedly brought a lot of money to a lot of brilliant charities. That is completely undeniable. And there is a sort of 'all us girls together' camaraderie, which again is by no means a bad thing. If we can all join together to do something positive then great! 

My issue isn't with people wearing makeup, or not wearing makeup. I made it clear in the last post that I think men and women should be able to paint or clothe their bodies however they so choose. If you feel comfortable wearing or not wearing makeup, fab. Don't feel like you have to wear makeup if you don't want to, and vice versa. I did mention my own mum as a personal role model, who happens not to wear makeup. I also happen to have loads of other role models who do wear makeup. That's not the issue. My issue is with the word 'dare' in 'dare to bear'. Daring connotes some kind of risk, an ergo bravery to post a picture of us without makeup. Will we be taken more or less seriously when we take off the war paint?  Will we been seen equal to men?  


On a side note I’m kind of curious as to how many people who donated or took a selfie, actually checked their breasts after doing so? 





No comments:

Post a Comment